St John Chrysostom on Fasting:
“Enter the Church and wash away our sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law.
Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent.”
“Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works:
• If you see a poor man, take pity on him.
• If you see a friend being honored, do not envy him.
• Do not let only your mouth fast, but also the eye and the ear and the feet
and the hands and all the members of our bodies.
• Let the hands fast, by being free of avarice.
• Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin.
• Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them not to glare at that which is sinful.
• Let the ear fast, by not listening to evil talk and gossip.
• Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism.
• For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes, but bite and devour our brothers?
May He who came to the world to save sinners strengthen us to complete
the fast with humility, have mercy on us and save us.”